Castanea Building

Asheville, NC


Built in 1921, 4 stories with approximately 27,000 SF
Interior and Exterior Renovations

Systems throughout were upgraded including:

  • New sprinkler system added
  • New mechanical systems
  • New electrical systems
  • New plumbing to meet current codes


Additional work included:

The Upper Two Floors had been vacant since the 1950’s. Six residential condos were developed, three on each floor. Original double-loaded corridors with ceramic tile floors have remained intact. All 44 original doors with transoms have been reused throughout, the original oak floors have been refinished, bathrooms located to take advantage of original ceramic tile floors, windows refurbished on Haywood Street and replaced in kind (originals deteriorated beyond repair) on the rear courtyard side. Several claw-foot tubs and wall-hung sinks, original to the building, were reused for period bathrooms. Other bathrooms are contemporary. The top floor units have private balconies in the rear while the 2nd floor units have private roof-top terraces with views of the downtown skyline and mountains beyond.

On the Haywood Street Level one retail bay has been developed as John Henry’s Restaurant and another as Sensibilities day spa. John Henry’s 1960’s storefront has been redone to match the other four original storefronts. Original pressed tin ceilings were preserved, pendant light fixtures, ductwork and sprinkler heads were installed. Both of these businesses have retail spaces on the lower Courtyard Level as well. Infrastructure has been upgraded throughout, including in the long-term tenant spaces for Jewelry Design and M’Press.

The Courtyard Level in the rear had been seedy and uninviting for years. This project has developed a Charlestonian-like courtyard with pavers, romantic lighting, and wrought iron railings. Retail spaces on this level can be independent or adjunct spaces to the Haywood Street shops (Sensibilities treatment rooms, John Henry’s jazz bar, M’Press new retail shop, Jewels That Dance annex). These spaces can spill out into the courtyard which is accessed off of Walnut Street through an original (1913) deeded right-of-way behind the Asheville Hotel. The renovations at this courtyard level have made wheelchair access possible to these lower retail spaces.

Exterior Renovations: Repointing masonry, cleaning brick, re-roof, restoration of Haywood Street storefront (#57) from 1960’s Asheville Discount Pharmacy to become John Henry’s Restaurant and match other 4 original storefronts. Reworked original windows on Haywood Street, replaced rear windows (totally deteriorated) to match original configuration, develop exterior courtyard with new retaining wall, pavers, lighting. (Jewels That Dance storefront was not part of this project).

This project qualified for Historic Tax Credits.

ARCHITECT: Glazer Architecture



(828) 808-6609


Asheville, NC